Sunday, March 11, 2012

Elie Baup Throws his Hat in the Ring


On Saturday, Elie Baup announced [in comments taken by newspaper l’Observateur] that he would be keen on the vacant coaching job at the head of the Senegal national team. The ex-Ligue 1 coach doesn’t hide his interest in the position and officially makes it known: “Yes, I am a candidate, I am postulating for the job as every one else is. I coached a lot of clubs in my life […] and so an international team can be a logical next step in my career and a good project. I am interested in it.”



The Frenchman coached most notably at Bordeaux and at Saint Etienne. His most successful period was in his five-year stint (1998-2003) when he was Ligue 1 champion with les Girondins in 1999. Other than that, Baup counts two other jobs at Toulouse and Nantes but where mid-table mediocrity was the most he could achieve.



On his lack of international experience, the 56-year, old replies: “I have 500 Ligue 1 matches and 80 European cup matches [worth of experience], international football is certainly something new, but the job remains the same."

No comments:

Post a Comment