Saturday, March 24, 2012

Amara Traore Breaks the Silence


Couple of weeks ago Amara Traoré expressed himself on local Senegalese television channel (2STV) on what had happened at the AFCON 2012. In this short interview, the former national team coach answered a few questions about what he felt was the reason for the disastrous elimination of the Teranga Lions at Bata. Sadly though, very few ‘real’ answers were given but some humorous commentary regardless – one in particular with a very Sam Allardyce-ish twist to it – that are well worth the read.



On the reasons why the team failed at the AFCON


What happened is inexplicable. During the qualification phase, people were wondering about our success and wondered how we had managed to expedite this reconstruction phase, one year only, after the elimination from the 2010 AFCON. I still watch the tapes of our games in Bata, but I cannot find any explanation. We had 18 goal-scoring opportunities per games. In training, even in front of empty nets and with dummies, the forwards were unable to score.



On the Amara Traoré’s lack of experience at the highest level to manage the Senegal national team


I proved in front of everyone that I could lead the national team. I have the results during the qualification phase to prove it. The problem of experience is a false debate. Hervé Renard is African Champion at 38 years old. During the qualification phase I beat Javier Clémente and Robert Nouzaret who have more experience than me. I do not even speak of the Senegal national team, give me Barcelona or Real Madrid, I can manage these teams.



On the style of play or lack thereof


It is a red herring. At the AFCON, there was not a single team that played like Barcelona. During all qualification games, it procured ourselves the highest number of goal-scoring opportunities, except against Cameroon in the first leg, when we were dominated. Otherwise, we dominated our opponents in the possession statistic.



On the lack of spirit & maybe patriotism (in terms of playing for the shirt) of the binationals


The binationals are patriots. They are fully Senegalese and in their own right. They might hold dual citizenship, but in no way should this fact call into question their patriotism. They were always the first to arrive in training camps. The players were really committed, serious, and pious. The President [of Senegal] even said so himself, when he received us at the presidential palace, before we left. They were hungry.



On the team’s future


People should be more patient. We have a great team. Let us not get impatient. It is this failure at the AFCON that will allow us to win tomorrow. With this, the players have learned a lot. This team has room for improvement and if maintained, it can bring us much satisfaction.



Now don’t get me wrong as I have nothing against Amara Traoré and I’m not using this as a stick to beat him with. Something happened in Bata and I place the blame slightly more on the players than the coach, personally. I simply thought his “able to manage Barca or Real” comment a funny one, as I’m sure most readers did. I think it was a wonderful diversionary tactic however – if at all premeditated – as most readers would have focused on that more so than the non-explanation he gave as to what happened in Bata. Personally I would have been more interested in hearing that than Traoré pretty much coming out and saying “I don’t know and cannot explain what happened”. In fact, only about 25% of comments posted at bottom of the article bemoaned this as opposed to the other 75% that denigrated him for making such a ridiculous supposition that he could manage Barcelona or Real Madrid. So for that alone – if indeed by design and not simply by accident – I say kudos to Traoré on a genius piece of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment